The Town of Meredith, a quintessential "New England Village", visible across the bay from the Point of View Inn, was originally named Palmer after an early surveyor and navigator of the area.  It was renamed "New Salem" after a charter granted in 1748 because many of the grantees to the land were from Salem Massachusetts.  In 1768 it received its present name honoring Sir William Meredith, III, Baronet, a member of the English Parliament who opposed taxation of the colonies.  Meredith's population is around 5,000 - in the winter months - but, swells to between 30 - 40,000 during the summer months!